Quotes I Live By As A Single Mother

It's been almost 3 years since I became a mother- a single mother, which is one of the most challenging yet most rewarding things I've ever experienced.

Yes, almost 3 years and I have been asked these questions and more one too many times:

"Is it hard?" (hmmm, yes)
"How do you do it?" (I just do it!)
"Was it your choice?" (ugh, duh)
"Where's the father?" (do you really have to ask?)

and the list goes on, and yes, those in brackets were my actual answers.

I must admit, being a single mother is not the easiest thing.  I am just fortunate to have incredible support from my family, relatives, and friends who became families. It's true what they say, it takes a village to raise a child.

Of course, it is always lovely to hear inspirational advice from these people, and I also thrive through inspiring quotes. I know there are so many quotes all over the web about single parents, but these 5 are my favorites:



Quotes To Live By For Single Parents

5 Quotes I Live By As A Single Mother

 

1. "I'm a single parent. What's your superpower?" - Anonymous

I do think of it as some kind of superpower.  I play so many roles in my child's life. Whenever I see him smile, happy, healthy, and fed every day, I say to myself what a superhero I am in my bubba's life. 

If you're a single parent, you're already a superhero. Wear your cape proud!

2. "I thought about giving up!! But then I remembered who was watching.” – Anonymous

The hardest thing I ever had to bear was being broken (and broke) while mothering my young child.  I had to press on because my son was watching.  His life depended on me.  It was tough, whatever I had to do and will do will have to be for the good of my child. Every decision made was for my child's well-being. 

3. "I'm not really single. I mean, I am, but I have a son. Being a single mother is different from being a single woman. - Kate Hudson

Come to think of it, I'm never ever going to be alone again.  I am filled with so much love for my little boy, and he loves me just as much.  I have a boy who loves me genuinely and wants to be with me 24/7. 

What my son and I have is a loving, supportive, and genuine partnership I never experienced with any man before my "little man".

4. "There will be so many times you feel like you've failed, but in the eyes, heart, and mind of your child, you are a supermom." - Stephanie Precourt

I feel so blessed every time my son says "I love you, mummy" just out of the blue.  I know that I have so many shortcomings as a mother- I lose my cool, I get tired and impatient, but my son is always so forgiving and loving.

Oh, what did I do to ever deserve this beautiful boy in my life? I'm beyond grateful. 

5. "Motherhood has completely changed me. It's just about like the most completely humbling experience that I've ever had. I think that it puts you in your place because it really forces you to address the issues that you claim to believe in and if you can't stand up for those principles when you're raising a child, forget it" - J.K. Rowling

I am sorry to disappoint many, but I have never picked up a single Harry Potter book- it just wasn't my thing. You see, I love J.K. Rowling more for being the single mother that she was.

I resonate so much with her when it comes to being a mother. I always tell people closest to me that motherhood changed me.  I am not the same person I used to be. I now find purpose in everything that I do.  It becomes more meaningful of an experience for me because most of what I do for my son, I do all by myself. But it gets hard, and I need that humility to accept that at times I won't be able to do it alone and that I need to seek help from people who genuinely love my child and me.  

Like Rowling, I was put into that place of truly standing up for what is right and what is good.  I have chosen to be a single mother because by being one, I can love myself more and that means being able to give my child what he truly deserves- a mother who is not broken anymore.

I am not broken anymore...



Finally, here's a shout-out to all the single mothers out there! I know we are no different than any other mothers when it comes to our common goal of giving all that we've got for our children; just remember that I am going to wear my superhero cape proud and meet all my single moms out there for a double high five!

love and light,
Mummy Chelle















mummychelle